Somebody needs to give New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin the hook.
Take him outta the game. Make him ride the pines. Bench him.
The man does not seem capable of making a sensible decision to save his life. Or others'.
He announces he's re-opening parts of the city.
- except the city has next to no fully-functioning hospital services available.
- what little police force he has left has no time to provide services to anybody.
- water supply is of questionable safety and is unreliable.
- the risk of infectious disease outbreak is considerable
- and oh yea... the coast is only half way! through the hurricane season, and even a relatively mild tropical storm could overwhelm the levees and pumps, wreaking more havoc on the poor, beleaguered city.
What was this guy smoking!
Fortunately, it appears the big boys upstairs read him the riot act, and the next day he decided to change his mind. My favourite part of that article is hearing him talk about how they're taking TS/H Rita "very seriously" and he's "requested 200 buses to assist in an evacuation". Of course, he's had to ask others for the buses, because he turned his own into Nagin's Navy the last time around.
I know there'll be lots of time down the road for the recriminations and punishment, and that now is the time to focus on meeting immediate needs, not partisan bitching, but somebody needs to get Mr. Nagin the hell out of the game before he causes a lot more grief and deaths. Almost inconceivable (and yes, I do know what that word means) ineptitude.